Research Blogging with WordPress
In this hands-on course for researchers and scientists, you’ll learn to plan your blog, set it up in WordPress, add your first post, and share your research far and wide.
About this course
If you want to set up a blog for your research group or start a professional blog for yourself where you can share your science, research, or experiences, you not only need a place to write your content, but you need to know how to do it and how to optimise it. By the end of this interactive workshop, you’ll have a completed WordPress blog ready to publish with your very own domain name.
This course will cover:
- Getting to know WordPress
- The purpose of blogging
- Defining your objectives and audience
- Structuring your blog and website
- Setting up your blog and website
- Posts, pages, images, and videos
- Comments and moderation
- Designing a simple look-and-feel with WordPress themes
- Adding extra functionality with WordPress plugins
- How to write for WordPress
- Search engine optimization
- Your blog and the social web
- Security and WordPress maintenance
- Backing up your WordPress site
- Understanding hosting, domains, and going live
This is a practical, hands-on workshop and participants will need to be able to access the internet, open multiple browser windows, and work through exercises throughout the day. Each participant will receive a WordPress site that they can use on the day, and for up to 3 months following the course.
This workshop is suitable for scientists, researchers, and subject-matter experts who want to create a website or blog for themselves or their research departments.
The goal of this workshop is for participants to publish their own website or blog within a month of being part of this workshop. By the end of this workshop, participants will have a WordPress website or blog that has a custom structure and design and that is more or less ready to go live (depending on the content). A half-hour “go live” session will be offered one month from the course during which time participants will buy a domain and hosting, make their websites live, and submit their new sites to Google for indexing.
7.5 hours (+ 30 minutes go-live)
(for online training, we suggest delivering this over multiple sessions)
Up to 12
(so that each participant gets lots of personal input and support)
- Live online using Zoom or similar technology
- In-person at your office or ours
- 1-to-1 coaching
Fancy a chat?
Get in touch and let's talk about how to help you achieve your communication goals.
+43 (0)660 378 2939